The Best Italian Sausage and Peppers
One of the most important things in learning how to live naturally is making sure you eat a wide variety of vegetables, and lots of them. I don’t know about you, but when I began this journey my recipe repertoire was fairly limited to the basics: Mac & cheese, sloppy joes, meatloaf, spaghetti, etc. Not a lot of room for extra veggies, hm?
So I had to do some digging for new recipes that pushed me out of my comfort zone. This is the first “cleaner” recipe I made, and it’s one of my favorites! It’s got a permanent spot in the rotation, showing up every couple of weeks. I have adapted the original recipe over time, but you can still view it here.
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
You Will Need:
- 3 cups of prepared long-grain brown rice
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Red, 1 Yellow, 1 Green bell pepper; Sliced or chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder or chopped garlic
- 12 oz Italian sausage (not ground), sliced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp Red pepper flakes
- Dash of paprika (optional but recommended)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Cook the rice according to package directions. Set aside.
- Chop up the bell peppers and onion. Set aside for now.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 Tbs olive oil. Add the sausage and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add another 1 Tbs olive oil. Add the peppers and onion and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic or garlic powder, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth, stir to combine. Allow to simmer for a couple of minutes, then sprinkle with paprika. Remove from heat.
- Add the Italian sausage and rice back into the pan, stir to combine. Adjust the seasoning if necessary. Serve!
Did you try this recipe? What did you think? Let me know below in the comments!
Like this post? Pin it on Pinterest!